Friday, April 08, 2005

Krum?

After rereading the posts, and then hearing the word, I'm still quite unsure of what 'krum' means. Perhaps it's the out-of-town-ness in me, for the lingo doesn't quite reach Chicago so quickly. We're still saying pop and gym shoes. But then after reading the comments to Tabak's post way back when, Josh seems to know what it means. So I'm just left to think that the lingo certainly must not reach Northbrook ( http://www.northbrook.il.us/ ) as quickly. Please help me out here!
Oh, and by the way, I did get to see Mr. Croc. What a beaut! Sorry guys, but I think he's too small to skin and make into a purse. Maybe a change purse... nah, he's too cute for that too. Although his lack of a bottom...er... uh... pallate (Diana help me out here, you know the anatomy of the mouth better than I do!) scares me a bit- there's just a whole row of surprisingly very sharp teeth. And on that note, later gator!

5 Comments:

Blogger WillWorkForFood said...

Someone needs to hang around yeshivish people more often.
Krum is somewhere between shady and shkutzy (adjective form of the noun shkutz), but I doubt that will help in defining the term. Pointing to something and calling it krum is an intuitive skill that you pick up, I'm not sure how to actually define it.
Either way, Josh will give some excellent examples, count on it.

2:57 PM  
Blogger DianaNOW said...

Ready for a krum yeshiva -- KBY -- Krum but yeshivish -- I mean it doesn't get better than that -- and since this year all SOY boys went to Hakotel or excuse me -- "Netiv Aryeh" -- I'm allowed to make such statements about other yeshivas

12:50 AM  
Blogger DianaNOW said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Alright, I'll weigh in. Perhaps as a North Suburban Chicagoan, I can help Avner understand this. The key to translating people is to avoid using words in the same foreign language for your definition.

Krum is the opposite of frum. While I can't verify that etymologically, this is the undisputed vernacular usage.

That being said, what is krum?

Frum is getting up on time for davening, krum is hitting snooze and rolling over. Frum is spending your nights in the Beis, krum is spending your nights in Brookdale. Frum is taking your date to a hotel lobby, krum is bringing your date back to a hotel room.

9:40 AM  
Blogger WillWorkForFood said...

See, I told you Josh would come through.

Oh and to tie it back into Javner's reference to a previous post, I'll try to continue along Josh's train of thought.

Frum is going to the seforim sale to purchase seforim.
Krum is going to the girl's sale to prey on girls in plain sight of the seforim whilst they sit in neglect.

Frum is selling seforim at the seforim sale.
Krum is not even pretending to try to be working but just walking around with a clipboard talking to anything with an annorexic female form.
Which explains the common phenomenon of why those people are upset when the pickup lines begin to flow and, to their utter horror, Shmulik turns around.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home